Re-bought my own NEX5n

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Hans von der Crone
Hans von der Crone Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Re-bought my own NEX5n

Kind of a silly story but still. A few weeks ago, I had my NEX6 on preorder and as soon as I got the message that I would pick it up, I put up my NEX5n+kitlens for sale. Picked up the NEX6 and still loving all about it. But I've also been on the lookout for better lenses, and after doubting a bit I currently have a NEX6 + Zeiss 24mm + 50mm/F1.8 + Sigma 30mm + the small 16-50 kitlens.

As of today, I hardly take the Zeiss of my NEX6, because I want to force myself to shoot with a fixed focal lenght for a while (to be honest, to kinda convince myself I 'need' a RX1). Anyway, in a few months we're going on vacation to South-Africa and my wife has told a couple times that she would love to take a camera of her own too (mainly because I'm hardly ever in the pictures when we go on vacation).

I was going to get her a RX100 but since that isn't exactly cheap, I thought why not contact the person who bought my NEX5n asking if he would consider re-selling it to me. Turns out he bought my NEX5n to get shots of his newborn and he finds it to too slow and he is buying a SLR to 'fix' that, so he was happy to re-sell it to me.

So now I have the NEX5n back. I think I'm going to sell the 16-50 OSS which should just about cover what I have paid for the NEX5n. Or I might keep the 16-50 and put that on the NEX5n and sell the old kitlens. Not sure about that yet. But I still think this is a very good deal for my wife. The RX100 is great but I think the NEX5n+kitlens is still a better (albeit larger) solution. And even without selling one of the kitlenses about 50% of what a RX100 would've cost me.

So what do you tnink about this? Also, should I keep the normal kitlens or keep the small one? Not quite sure about that. I don't mind the larger 18-55 and it is optically a bit better than the small kitlens, but then again the small kitlens on a NEX5n would make for a very nice/small travel cam for my wife. Or maybe put the 30mm on it. Not quite sure about that. I am pretty sure though she won't like swapping lenses (she has absolutely NO knowledge of photography).

Hans von der Crone's gear list:Hans von der Crone's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow