Thinking of upgrading G1 - but lens or body?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Bond
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Thinking of upgrading G1 - but lens or body?
Dec 13, 2012

Hi,

I have a G1 with the original 14-45 kit lens and this combo still meets the majority of my needs quite well.  However, a couple of recent instances made me think I could do with an upgrade:

(a) we visited Rome and I took a lot of interior shots.  I don't like using more then ISO 400 with the G1 as it starts to get noisy then.  So I had to use any available support as it was often too dark for the camera to be handheld.  Also, if there was sunlight coming in, I had expose for the highlights and hope that the shadows weren't too noisy when I boosted them.

(b) I was doing some low light portrait shots recently of my wife with a fast legacy lens (40mm F2) on a tripod.  The shutter speed was quite slow and there was some movement blur with some shots.  I kept it at ISO 100 to minimise noise.

I have been tempted by the 20mm F1.7 but, assuming that the OIS on the 14-45 gives about extra 2 stops, in practical terms the shutter speed I'd have to with the 20mm would probably be about the same.  I know that optically the 20mm is better than the 14-45 set to 20mm - but not by that much.  Besides, if I get a fast lens, I would want something that could be used for portraits as well and the 20mm isn't ideal for that.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that the G5 is probably the way to go (if/when the prices come down a bit).  The DR looks to be almost 1 1/2 stops better than the G1 and the noise is a lot lower.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?  BTW, because I am getting long-sighted, I do need a camera with an EVF and the OM-D EM-5 is waaay beyond my budget!

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BodyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow