Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?
Re: Robin Training
In reply to R2D2, Dec 13, 2012

R2D2 wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

Am I getting there? Can't justify more that the 55-250mm for the minute.

Another really nice shot. Very well photographed (and looks great on the monitor).

Thank you.  I still hope to get closer as it gets used to me over the winter.

If this isn't deeper than a 50% crop, then it should print very nicely too.

Never really thought about printing but at 200ppi it should give a 12"x8" so maybe I'll give it a go.

If you do want to move up to the next level of birding lenses at some point, all of Canon's offerings in the $1200 - $1700 range are excellent. They all have their particular strengths and weaknesses, depending on your quarry. I could help with recommendations if you'd like (I've shot with all but the new 70-300L IS).

That's where it all gets 'scary'.  I'm really nothing more than an opportunist amateur with an eclectic taste trying to improve.  Even with a 400mm it seems as if you have to get fairly close to half film the frame and getting decent detail.  There are not many birds out there that will readily let me get anywhere as near as that Robin was.  But I'll bookmark your offer just in case I have a windfall.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow