A Smartphone Based ILC

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fogel70
Regular MemberPosts: 449
Like?
Re: A Smartphone Based ILC
In reply to MonsieurJambon, Dec 13, 2012

MonsieurJambon wrote:

First, I agree that Android cameras are a ripoff. They're not a good phone or camera. That's why I think it might be worth looking at separating the two so you wouldn't have to compromise the phone or the camera.

Fogel70 wrote:

Processors in camera are specialized in image processing, so they are usually more powerful for this than a "generic" CPU in a smartphone. Smartphones probably also has a specialized image processors for the camera in them. A specialized processor also consumes much less power.

I doubt the ergonomics on a device like this will be very good. And it probably be difficult to support all different smartphone. So when you want to replace your smartphone you might find than the new smartphone not supported by the camera device.

It probably be a bit difficult to answer a phone with a 300mm f/2.8 lens is attached if you don't have the headset.

Thanks for that. It made be do some deeper consideration about this idea. I had figured that the dock would be design so that the phone could slip out quickly in the case of a call, since unless you had a headset you wouldn't be taking pictures and taking a call at the same time. You also wouldn't have to fish for your phone since it would be in your hand already.

As far as the processor goes, I had figured that tweaks to existing smartphone processors would make them quicker than the specialized units in cameras since battery life is such an important consideration in cameras that their overall power would be less than that of smartphones even with their specialized architecture. And with that extra space you could cram a bigger battery in their to feed the smartphones processor. I could of course be totally wrong. It was just a thought.

A specialized processor can be made more power efficient as it is only designed for one purpose. To make it work like you want the whole architecture in the smartphone probably has to be redesigned, which require a whole new type of smartphone. I will probably not be so easy to convince all manufactures to make this happen.

I doubt you can get direct access to smartphone processor through the USB connector, and USB is probably not fast enough for this type of communication. What might be possible today is using the smartphone for UI and for storing images. But the camera unit has to use it's own processor to operate, so you don't gain much by attaching a phone to a camera.

I would imagine that given the whole thing would run over USB 3.0 that compatibility wouldn't be an issue, since all the camera body is looking for is a USB port, not a specific device.

You also need a mechanical interface for the phone, and as there are smartphones in hundreds different sizes and shapes, so you probably have to design an unique adapter for each type of phone, which you then attach to the camera unit. Not even the USB-connector is on the same place on all phones.

Ergonomically I agree it might be difficult to get them right, but that would also depend on the size of body you planned on attaching it to. With a NEX size camera things might get tight, but with a full-frame camera you'd have a lot more space to play around with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow