Coverting MTS to WVM?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Questions thread
Multi-SportsMom
Contributing MemberPosts: 594Gear list
Like?
Re: Coverting MTS to WVM?
In reply to Cy Cheze, Dec 13, 2012

Cy Cheze wrote:

What version of WMM are you using? It is possible to use the 2006 Vista version of WMM to edit AVCHD, but only after you've used another application to convert the files to HDV MPEG2 or MP4.

Its the 2011 version. I dont know why I started having a problem. 2 days before I did a DVD/Movie with no problem.

The one that accompanied Vista PCs exported WMV HD at 5mbps, which entails perhaps a 75% quality loss relative to the original. This might be compatible with upload to YouTube, and result in small files, but not look fabulous on a large screen.

If you export to standard definition DVD, the maximum NTSC resolution would be 720x480 @ 8mbps. This will look OK on a VGA screen but not on a large HDTV.

What software are you using to create the DVD? The Vista Windows DVD Maker supported standard definition only.

Windows Live Movie Maker. I just put my kids sports clips together, make a title. Save as a Movie and Burn a DVD. For personal use and when my kids teammates want a copy of games.

I have Adobe Premier 10, but find it difficult to use. Maybe if i find the forum I can ask some question on what i am doing wrong.

If you want to create HD discs, you'll need:

1. An i5 or (better) i7 PC for editing, especially if your source files are AVCHD, with a dedicated graphics card and HD display.
  2. Recent video editing and disc creation software. Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, PowerDirector, Corel, Pinnacle, etc. The full-featured versions can be found at discount for around $100 (or even less), if you shop carefully. Download a trial version to see which is your "cup of tea." All require time to learn.
  3. An HDTV display, on which you can view the video, whether by Blu-ray disc, flash memory, hard drive player, or streaming.

There is a Windows Live version of WMM, but it may require uploading lots of files to a cloud server.

I dont mind converting the files and continue using WMM.  But need to know what is best to convert them too. What is the best free converter.

Multi-SportsMom's gear list:Multi-SportsMom's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow