DSLR or Mirrorless - can four third lenses be as good?

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
patrickestarian
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: DSLR or Mirrorless - can four third lenses be as good?
In reply to RicksAstro, Dec 13, 2012

The 85 1.8G is a great lens as is the Oly 45 1.8. They both give similar FOV, but the Nikon gives you 2 stops extra DOF control. On the E-M5, the primes take advantage of the fantastic IBIS system, which is quite nice. So if you regularly want to shoot at 1.8 full frame equivalent, then you haven't much choice in the matter...stay with Full frame.

When you add up the costs of the bodies and the lenses I mentioned, you'll find a similar cost for both systems, and you'll be getting alarmingly similar IQ between the 2 systems. The main difference is more DOF control with the Nikon System.

So for me, if you want the best IQ, you are mainly trading size for DOF control. Also, with m43, you can trade cost down for even less DOF control. The old Panasonic 14-45 is a super sharp lens. The Panasonic 100-300 (200-600 equiv) is also very nice, and there are some superb primes that are reasonably priced.

Someone mentioned earlier that portrait lenses should be at least 70mm regardless of format and sensor size. If that's the case may I be able to get a better DOF with a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 aspherical ?

I'm going with m43 for my non-pro use, since I don't need the razor thin DOF that full frame provides, and I like the smaller more subtle m43 cameras.

And this is just considering stills. If you throw video in, m43 (particularly the GH3 or GH2) is far more usable for the general casual videographer that would be interested in AF and such...m43 will give you great results without trying much.

I think I am leaning toward GH3 because for baby photography, adding a little video to the CD can also make it more attractive.

Thanks again for very detailed response. I really appreciate it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow