D7000 is here!!! Accessory question

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Questions thread
autre_pensee
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Re: No prob
In reply to Mako2011, Dec 13, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

AF tune is a tricky thing and may or may not be needed. To apply it right/properly takes a bit of work but easy to do once figured out. A very simply thing to do is set the camera on a table and shoot a newspaper on a wall about 8 feet from the camera (With your 50mm lens). Shoot it at f1.8 in timer release and in the brightest light you can at a shutter speed at or faster than 1/200s. Do it a few times (AF-S, Single)...then do it with LiveView (CDAF). Compare the pics and they should look about the same sharpness wide. If they look good...then just shoot away and not worry anymore. If the View-finder shots (PDAF) look a bit soft in comparison...upload examples here and we'll sort it out...quickly. Learn as you go and enjoy. Take 100 pics for every post here and read the dang manual with camera and drink in hand. If you can't work out how something works...ask.

I just want to make sure everything is ok before the dead-on-arrival period expires.

No problem...remember these are indeed instruments with tolerances. They are harder to "play" than point and shoots...but once learned, really nice. No camera is perfect. Do not worry...it wastes valuable shooting time

Thank you for your explanations

I tried the experiment and the viewfinder shots look visibly softer than the liveview ones.

My settings:

s 200, a 1.8, iso < 200. My apartment is fairly dim so i exposed the paper (in reality a piece of paper with text on it as i didnt have an actual newspaper. its format is 8x5.5") with a 3 head stand-up lamp with mercury 100W equivalent light-bulb CFC.

In VF, i took 3 shots (6 actually, 2 per delayed release), one in AF-A, one in AF-S and one in AF-C. In live view, i did AF-S then AF-F. The pictures should be in this order. The description i entered in my gallery did not show up here.

Also, I have 9 autofocus points gathered at the center of the frame.

I shot in M mode and tried my best to not move the camera between shots. Also, in Liveview, the focus square is much larger than in the view finder alternating between red and green (sorry I have not had time yet to read up on the significance of this)

Did i do everything right?

Thank you again for your time. I am reading up the manual in the mean time with a glass of Sauternes wine

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000 + 18-105 + 50mm f1.8g
SONY HX-100V

autre_pensee's gear list:autre_pensee's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow