P7700 vs G15... My general impressions...

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rotorwash4944
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700 vs G15... My general impressions...
In reply to MarkusF, Dec 13, 2012

MarkusF wrote:

I have a buddy looking at the G15 (faster lens) and the P7700 (longer reach).

One key issue question for him and his style of shooting: how does the Autofocus speed compare?

If you read the dpreview of the G15 it says autofocus is claimed to be 50% faster than G12 and it is one of the most zippy point and shoot ones that they have used. Unfortunately dpreview hasn't gotten around to the P7700 yet and none of the other reviews I've seen has specifically addressed autofocus. This leads me to believe the P7700 is average while the G15 might be a little better than average?

Overall though - they both look like two good cameras. If my friend was shooting landscapes or more static scenes all the time I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the P7700.

I'd agree and say the G15 certainly is zippier in the AF department, and I don't think it ever hesitated to provide lock. Id have to describe the AF on the P7700 as a bit fickle at times, but once locked, the photo is super sharp.

Rotorwash4944's gear list:Rotorwash4944's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow