Did I get a BAD 60D ?

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Questions thread
sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
You shot wide open at high ISO
In reply to MARIU5, Dec 13, 2012

You didn't get a bad 60D, you got a camera that failed to violate the laws of physics and optics. 100% of all the cameras sold in the world fall into this class.

Your aperture is wide open in these shots so you have fairly limited depth of field. That's why part of the photo is out of focus. That's a law of optics. If you are used to a point-and-shoot, then your expectations for depth of field are probably set out of kilter relative to a dSLR. P&S cameras have more depth of field because of their smaller image sensors.

You are shooting at 1600 and 3200 ISO. You will see more noise up there as the camera amplifies the image to compensate for the lack of light. That's a law of physics. In film days, your photo would simply look really, really dark because you couldn't get color film that fast. Now you get a pretty good image at the cost of some noise so there's something visible to complain about.

I looked at the chrome knobs. It looks to me like there's something in the purple range being reflected in them. However, if there is purple fringing, it would be the lens' problem, not the 60D's problem. The 18-135 lens is not particularly sharp. It's a kit lens. No one buys one on its own. It's simply a middle-of-the-road, moderately wide-range, moderately priced zoom with all of the optical compromises those words imply. It makes a nice walk-around lens, and a popular one, but it's not on the first or second tier of Canon's lenses with respect to performance.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson
www.sleibson.com
Shooting with Canons for 40 years

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow