NEX 6 Hybrid focus vs Nikon V1 PDAF

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,806Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 6 Hybrid focus vs Nikon V1 PDAF
In reply to Bstevs, Dec 13, 2012

Bstevs wrote:

Which is better? Is there a big difference? I posted this in NEX forum too to get both sides and rule out bias.

This is a very good question! I know for sure that Nikon uses their own patented and (apparently unique),  design for on-sensor phase detection focusing. I know Sony has been working on this technology for some time, but so far I have not seen any reviewer praise it as the equal to that used in the Nikon 1 system cameras though.

This is what a CNET reviewer of the Sony NEX 5R said about the focusing speed of the NEX- 5R with the new hybrid focusing:

"The 5R performs a bit better than the 5N; that is, sufficiently fast but not exceptionally speedy."- CNET.com  by Lori Grunin

This is what DPR has said about the Sony on-sensor PDAF. No doubt it is not their last words on the subject though.

"How well these advantages might be realized in practice, though, is unclear from the pre-production example we've used for this preview. -DPR

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-5r

The evidence so far suggests that no other manufacturer has been able to match the Nikon 1 system cameras for speed, accuracy and moving subject tracking. If this is so, then I don't think Nikon has been given enough credit for what they have accomplished with their on-sensor PDAF design.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"
- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow