Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sandy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,012Gear list
Like?
Changed HDD to an SSD - issues
Dec 12, 2012

I am grateful for the help and advice I received in the thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3339117

I am not a computer whiz but I've assembled my own PC. etc.  I splashed out on the Corsair Neutron GTX 240Gb SSD, attracted by its reviews and 5 year warranty.  I followed the recommendation to do a fresh install of my OEM Win 7 64bit onto the SSD rather than copy my existing C drive across nb programs are on the C drive and files and folders are on a second HDD.

The result is some actions seem slicker with the SSD but others are painfully slow.  For example, typing this message, typing in the search or address bars, email  (Thunderbird) and even in Office is problematic.  You hit the keys and and after the first few the letters don't appear on the screen.  Sometimes they are delayed a few seconds, sometimes they never appear.  In Thunderbird it can take a few seconds before a message shows it has been selected.  If I want to delete a series of messages, I can delete the first one or two but I have to wait a few seconds before I can proceed to delete more.  Scrolling down DPReview threads is stop/start. Any ideas?

I can switch over to my original HDD and it works as before - pretty well.

A few comments re the installation process.  The loading of 2 year's worth of Windows updates seemed never ending and inevitably a good few needed several attempts.  I also forgot that I had to load drivers from the MB disk until I had loaded Win 7 - indeed could the delayed loading of these be a factor?

I have an ASRock 890 GTX Extreme 4 MB, 8Gb Ram, AMD Phenom II X4 970 processor.

-- hide signature --

Sandy

Sandy's gear list:Sandy's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow