external microphone for d3200 - phantom power / pre-amp / frequency range questions

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oogadee Boogadee
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
external microphone for d3200 - phantom power / pre-amp / frequency range questions
Dec 12, 2012

Hello everybody.  It's my first post here, and it's a question(s).

First, some background - I'm a complete beginner.

What I'm trying to achieve with my d3200 is a video recording of some songs played at local metal shows.  For the most part, they're simple, loud gigs with poor lighting.

At home, I've tried plugging in a pair of Oktava MK01 small-diaphragm condensers ( http://www.oktava.com/inc/sdetail/475 ) into the camera's mic jack with a stereo Y-cable, but the camera doesn't pick up any sound with these despite trying various camera settings.  Piecing together some info from various threads has clued me into the possibility that with these mics, I'll need a unit that can supply phantom power, or pre-amp gain.

My first question is, do I need phantom power, or pre-amp gain, or both?  If that means spending cash to get something like a BeachTek DXA-SLR Dual XLR Audio Adapter with Built-in Preamplifiers and Phantom Power for DSLR Cameras with Mic Jack ($285 on Amazon), then am I good to go?

Finally, some have suggested that no matter how big of a frequency range my mics and preamp stuff can capture, I'll still be limited by the range capabilities of the camera itself.  If that's true, would I be better off spending the $285 on a completely separate audio recording device like a Zoom unit?

I'm hoping I can maximize the gear that I already have, and that my mics can capture a wide range of frequencies etc.... and that my camera will record those frequencies..... but I'm not quite sure what the facts are.

Thanks!!

James

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow