Shutter shock depends on lens or camera body ?

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Shutter shock depends on lens or camera body ?
Dec 12, 2012

My situation is following. I have the EM5 and GF2 bodies with combination of both Olympus and Panasonic lenses: Panny 14mm f2.5 and 14-45mm zoom, Oly 12-50mm, 45mm f1.8 and 40-150mm v.II.

Everything was working fine until I got Olympus 40-150 zoom with which I struggled since day one (on the EM5) to get a decent picture - there was just way too many blurred images. Then I learned about shutter shock and recognized it as the main cause for the problems I'm having with that lens. Setting the camera anti shock to 1/8 s helped but not solved the problem. However, with or without anti-shock enabled and outside "shutter shock - shutter speed" window I'm still getting double images and strangely behaving output.

Like this one, 1/1250s partially sharp partially blurred, all in the same dof..

EM-5

or this one, totally oof (1/250s IBIS on)

EM-5

So I thought I have a lemon lens, but gave it a try on the GF2 today. The results were interesting. There is nothing wrong with that lens, there was no evidence of shutter shock or any strange behavior, just normal blurred images with too slow shutter speeds for the fl.

GF-2

GF-2

So now I'm not sure what it could be ? Lens alone is not a problem. The EM5 working as it should, with any other lens but the 40-150. Actually, I had similar situations with the 43 ZD 50-200mm but I thought that auto-focus is the problem. Now I'm not so sure about that.

Could it be faulty IBIS unit, not working properly with long focal lengths, or something else with my EM5 ? What do you guys think ?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow