Bad GH3 Viewfinder - Ends Well.

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
halfmac
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?
Re: Bad GH3 Viewfinder - Panasonic Responds
In reply to halfmac, Dec 12, 2012

halfmac wrote:

I just got my GH3 and the OLED viewfinder has a really jaggy image. The back OLED looks fine. Gets better when I pan. When it comes into focus, the OLED looks like an old color viewfinder from one on my early digital video cameras. Real bitty and jaggy. This quite a step backwards from my GH2. Anyone else seeing this problem? I saw GH3 at a trade show a few weeks back and it seemed fine.

-- hide signature --

Alan - http://frugalfilmmakers.com/
E-M5 2xGH2 G Vario 7-14 X Vario 12-35 G 14 G Vario 14-140 Leica DG 25 Oly 45 G Vario 45-200 G Vario 100-300

Bob Kozlarek from Panasonic contacted me about the forum post.

"We have not received any other reports about this, so I'm very interested / concerned.
Are you, by chance looking at a photo with grid like horizontal / vertical lines such as roof shingles?
Any way you can photograph the image?
Can you send me the original so I can look at it in my GH3? --"

My response:

The camera does exhibit this problem, not the pictures. I am not looking at something that would cause moire. The problems is most pronounced on wide angle shots. The sample camera I saw at the Kenmore Digital Expo did not exhibit this problem. I would have noticed it. The jaggies that I am seeing are in the display itself. It is like the fields are reversed, if you're watching NTSC video. This looks worse some of the EVF's on my early digital video cameras.
Kenmore camera is going to call me when they get some more GH3s in. I will check mine against theirs. As I said, the sample GH3 I saw at the expo did not have this problem. This Camera looks worse than my GH2, both of them and my Olympus EM5. All their electronic viewfinders look okay and I am used to looking at an electronic viewfinder. That is one of the reasons I bought these cameras. The rear LCD looks OK as well, so I don't believe the problem lies in the camera viewfinder processing.
By the way the rest of the camera is behaving normally. The images are quite lovely. The video is outstanding. Once this viewfinder gets fixed I will be very happy with the camera.

Alan - http://frugalfilmmakers.com/
GH3 E-M5 GH2 G Vario 7-14 X Vario 12-35 G 14 G Vario 14-140 Leica DG 25 Oly 45 G Vario 45-200 G Vario 100-300

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow