ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sdh
sdh
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Focus bug with my P7700?
Dec 12, 2012

I'm seeing a strange behavior with my P7700, where focussing appears to stop working after doing close focus, then zooming. I would like to know whether others can reproduce the same thing with there P7700's, or if mine is "special".

The simplest steps I've found to reproduce the issue are:

1. Start with AF mode on AF-S
  2. Zoom out to full wide
  3. Focus on something close (1-2 feet, it doesn't need to be macro close).
  4. Zoom in to full tele then immediately zoom back to full wide (don't incur AF at full tele).
  5. Try to focus on the same thing in step 3.

At step 5, my camera completely fails to focus. It won't focus close, far, nothing. Usually it shows the "focus failed" rectangle. Sometimes it gives a green rectangle but even then the picture is obviously un-focussed. Manual focus does not work.

Basically the camera is not physically moving the focus element in the lens, and it remains in this state until I power down and restart the camera, then it works normally again.

If I focus on something far after step 3, or when zoomed to full tele in step 4, then I don't get the problem. I think there's something about spanning the zoom range when the lens was in its closest focussing position, that boogers AF!

This is absolutely repeatable on my camera.  I'd appreciate if others would try this and let me know what they find?

I'll admit I only spotted this issue while playing around to familiarize myself with the camera, and it didn't happen once in 3 days of actual-photograpy use this past weekend.  But it still annoys me; this should not happen.

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow