Looking for a Second Opinion Before an Upgrade.

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CBR1100XX
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
Looking for a Second Opinion Before an Upgrade.
Dec 12, 2012

Since this is a big refresh for it I thought I'd lay out the plan here and see if there are any comments/recommendations before I pull the trigger since I'll be living with this as my main system for more 3 years. Its main purpose will be photo/design work and maybe video in the future when I pick up a D800.

Current specs are a Xeon "Bloomfield" W3540, 12GB of ECC RAM, NVIDIA FX580 Quadro, and the bottleneck is a 7,200 RPM 500GB drive.

I'm going to keep the processor since it looks like it would be 1,000+ to only get 20-30% increase in speed.

The graphics card I want to swap out with a consumer card, the NVIDIA GTX 660 since I want to go with 3 and sometimes 4 monitors. (The Quadro's are a lot more expensive and I don't think there's much benefit with my work)

HD is going for an SSD, probably around 250GB.

And the RAM I'm on the fence about but I'm guessing when I move to 32MP images having 24 GB of it will be a big help.

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX580 (Lumix DMC-FX550) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow