Gerry Pasternack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442
Like?
Some Final thoughts on Memory
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Dec 12, 2012

Jim:

Thanks for the advice.

The MB if using is a Gigabyte from NE:

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3P LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

and I'll be working with an Intel Core i5-3570K (with HD Graphics 4000)

My OS is W7 Home Premium SP1 64

This MB doesn’t support XMP. That’s a performance MB feature that I traded off as not worth the cost to me.  But at least the memory speed of Patriot dimms is the same. Will check on 8gb dimm support with B75 chipset. Never bothered looking into this as there’s no need for me to go over 16 gb total memory, and so 2X4GB was fine - with room for expansion.

GSkill was chosen not because other makers aren’t as good, that’s far from the case, but because the price/speed were acceptable AND Gskill consistently has fewer reported compatibility issues with a wide variety of mb’s. (XMP concerns me in that regard as well.) Lot’s of memory will work fine but I want to be sure.

For what its worth, Patriot always seemed to be a "bargain basement" brand judging from ads from other sellers (on flash drives) that I've seen.  Might still be a perfectly fine device.

Comments?

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow