Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Omni88
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Interesting how taking photos has progressed
In reply to Y0GI, Dec 12, 2012

Y0GI wrote:

10s wrote:

you will see a "live simulation" of the ending photo just the way the camera plans on taking it, and you can see whether there is an issue with white balance or exposure. Be sure the histograms are displaying as well, which you can do by cycling through the options with the INFO button (assuming your T4i works like my T3i).

That's how it works on T4i too. This is a good tip to prevent unexpected results and helps you to quickly learn taking control over manual settings, getting immediate feedback regarding the effects on the image. Canon implemented what-you-see-is-what-you-get in liveview that is really helpfull for beginners and experiences people alike. Maybe this should be advocated as THE reason P&S upgraders should first buy an EOS-M - to climb the leaning curve. Fortunately the T4i also has it (plus a very good viewfinder).

Regarding liveview focus: in my experience the T4i is fast enough for the kind of images I saw in this thread (it is exceptionally precise and quite responsive in daylight using a fast lens like the EF-S 18-135 STM). Don't be put off using liveview because of some negative sentiments regarding liveview AF. It actually works quite comfortable indeed. Just try it!

Live View would not have been of much use for the OP's photos. All were shot in bright sunshine which makes it very hard to utilize the back LCD. The histograms might have been visible but LV EXP SIM would not have shown much out in the sunshine.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

I agree.  I was thinking to myself that there are a places and shots where trying to view the LCD screen for settings and Live View is near impossible.  Think of... standing on top of a set of ruins in midday with no shade.   It makes viewing anything on the LCD screen near impossible, let alone trying to see if all the settings you've just made to the shot you're about to take has made any difference to the Live View of the picture.

I am fortunate though to live where we have a lot of snow right now.  A snow covered ground and a bright sunny day = the brightest of possible shots.  This will offer an excellent experience of trying all the various settings/exposures recommended throughout these threads to get "that" shot which will have excellent contrast of darker objects while not over-exposing or bleeding/bleaching the whites in the snow.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow