Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Omni88
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: V.disappointed T4i (650D) washed out pictures INDICATES inexperience and incorrect assumptions
In reply to Sdaniella, Dec 12, 2012

Thanks Sdyue

You make some very interesting (and provocative) statements... some of which goes against-the-grain of what others have been saying through the treads.  But none the less, this is very informative, and you obviously put a lot of time and thought into your replies and the reasons/rational why the pictures didn't turn out as expected and how to take better pictures in the future.

The comment made by marilynR noted that some users on Amazon found their out-of-the-box experience with their cameras (from manufacturers other than Canon) "that their shots come out wonderful, right out of the box."

This is what I found with my Sony F828.  So I think I had the same expectation that even with a fairly expensive Canon DSLR (T4i) would at minimum react the same way... and that setting the T4i to Auto would at least give the semblance of a good picture (right out-of-the-box).

Maybe for many people (shooting in default/Auto) the quality of the original picture samples I showed in the threads were good quality pictures in their eyes (they weren't in mine).  It was noted by someone in the threads that Canon (in their Rebel line) tend to skew towards the vivid/higher contrast look.  But to get better picture quality for advanced users, many camera settings may have to be pre-adjusted or turned down/up.

All of the problems I experienced with the pictures obviously comes from a lack of knowledge and experience with this particular type of camera... which seems to require attention to details, settings, type of environment you're taking the picture in, time of the, sunny vs cloudy vs hazy, etc. etc. etc.  It's become obvious that without some attention to details and what environment you're shooting in... that the T4i is probably not going to give you good looking or stunning pictures right out of the box

As a footnote, I didn't purchase this camera just before the trip to Mexico.  I purchased the T4i several weeks before and did a bunch of shooting in various environments.   I shot at different times of the day and achieved stunning sunset pictures, and beautiful rivers/wilderness pictures all without having to do any major tweaking to the settings of the camera... nor did I have to do any POST on any of those pictures.   So with these good results in mind, I made the assumption that I would get the same good results while on vacation in Mexico.  I made the assumption that from my previous shooting experience with this camera before the trip to Mexico... that the T4i would continue to shoot excellent quality pictures right out of the box with little adjustments.  Obviously my assumptions were wrong, and I now know better for the future to be more cognisant of what I'm shooting, and the environment I'm shooting in, and not make any assumptions.

others unaware of ExpSim LV, will say odd things like, well check your shot after you take it if you used the wrong settings [duh, why after, when you can check BEFORE your shot???]... (yes, lots here still think like this; which tells me most are still either fiddling with AE modes (fiddling w/ AE-lock, lock-n-recompose, etc), 'just-in-case' bracketing, or relying on RAW for 'fix-it-later' 'cos they shot-exposed it wrong to begin with.)

Many in the threads have said to check every shot, including histogram "after" every shot I take for wrong settings.   But you make a good point that typically a person would setup the settings for the shot "before" taking the picture as opposed to after.

But this also begs the question... that this scenario of pre-setting all the settings before taking the picture makes sense until the time(s) where you want to capture something that is fairly instant (and animal crosses your path for example).   In that case you can't spend a couple of minutes dealing with settings.   You simply want to click-and-shot something as soon as possible.

People UNDERESTIMATE the immense optimization done for IN CAMERA Customizable JPEG ENGINES; as soon as one fall back to RAW, one is essentially exposed to the variableness and inexperience of a shooter 'post-processor' trying to reinvent the wheel when trying to create their OWN JPEG from 'post-processing' Software like LR, and others.

People mistakenly assume in-camera jpeg engine is 'limited' and non-optimal 'canned' JPEG renderings, when it turns out when a person uses RAW, they are essentially navigating how to re-CAN an 'custom' JPEG rendering that is just as flawed, as it cannot be used on any other image for the same effect unless shot under identical conditions.

This goes against-the-grain of what many others in the threads have recommended.  Many others have made numerous and valuable suggestions... and/or including SHOOT RAW (and fix the problems later).

I've questioned this in my mind.  If I would of shot all 1000 pictures in RAW... yes it would offer me the luxury of fixing all those pictures in POST... but fixing a 1000 pictures would probably take weeks to complete.  My way of thinking for using RAW is if I was taking a once-in-lifetime rare picture(s), that I knew if I screwed up in some fashion... I would have a better chance of fixing it in POST later.  But the JPEG Engines that I've seen in many of the new cameras are really good, and have come a long way in the past few years.   A good example is that some people in these threads have already taken my original (bad quality) sample pics and "fixed/adjusted" them... and the results look very good.  These pictures started out as JPG's... so I think the new JPEG Engines gives a lot more information in the picture to work with (and adjust/fix) than previous versions of JPEG Engines and compression.

Shooting in RAW offers the person the safety net of fixing problem photos after the fact, but as you mention earlier... if everything was set correctly in the first place, then the odds are is that you're going to get a good quality photo, even if it's shot in JPEG... and shouldn't need POST processing if the picture is shot correctly in the first place.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow