Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,181
Like?
It is not "excellent advice."
In reply to Omni88, Dec 12, 2012

Notwithstanding the fact that it took a while to find out your problem, we did successfully find out your problem.

I can't find who spotted Automatic Light Optimizer, but some did, and deserv es congratulations.

You went home and found ALO was turned on.

ALO brightens pictures with significant dark areas, which all your shots had.

Lots of comments in the thread are wrong bec ause people have not read it all, and did not learn your ALO problem.

Lots of comments in this thread are wrong because people don't know what they are writing about.

The next steps you should take are pretty straightford and do not involved strings of letters, numbers, and plus or minus signs.

As I wrote long ago, go get a good book about photography, and read it.

As I did not write, but hope you understood, learn about highlights and shadows and fill in shadows and deciding between highlights and shadows and adjusting contrast to add more shadow detail and metering for highlights and metering for shadows, and so on and so forth.

Your fancy new camera is packed with "good luck, Charley" features that may or may not work to your advantage.

If someone was sitting on those giant steps on the right of one shot, or on the rocks on the right in the beach shot, ALO would have been handy.

But there were no people sitting, and you think the shots turned out bad, and you don't need to set EC on your flagonhorn, you need to learn to see the light, then learn to frame, then learn WHAT SPECIFIC CHANGE is needed for a particular shot.

Look for Tom Ang books about photography in general, but review the book before you buy. Make sure it is understandable. Nothing by Patterson.

And find a detailed book about your specific camera, so you can learn its weirdnesses. (like ALO and the differences between Portrait mode and portrait picture style)

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow