Nikon 14mm f/2.8 vs Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 Zoom

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Nikon 14mm f/2.8 vs Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 Zoom
In reply to J Francis, Dec 12, 2012

J Francis wrote:

I'm trying to cut down the weight of my camera backpack, as I carry a lot of lenses.

I noticed that I love to use my Nikon 14-24mm zoom lens, but I ONLY use it at 14mm, never at any other focal length. The Nikon 14-24mm is very large and heavy, and since I'm basically using it as a prime lens, I figured I should replace it with the Nikon 14mm.

Without first renting a 14mm, how do I know if it is as good as the 14-24mm at 14mm?

I'm talking about these lenses specifically (full names below):

- NIKON 14mm f/2.8D ED AF Ultra Wide-Angle Nikkor Lens

- Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

Any tips would be appreciated.

The prime is what I used to use, sold it for the zoom and now sold the zoom back for the prime! ...Unique case ehh?

Here is the advantages and the disadvantages between them, at 14mm...

The zoom is much sharper than the prime at f2.8 and less so at f4... thereafter, there is stll some difference in the corners at f5.6 but you wouldn't care... the prime is always a little better in the center, but not to an extend that you should care... But all the above are only relevant with "wall" shooting... the two lenses have completely different field curvature...

Vignetting is bad with both, but worst with the prime... it can be corrected with both...

The prime is much better in MF use (my use) it also bares a "real" DOF scale... unfortunately not an infinity lock...

The prime bares an aperture ring, the zoom doesn't...

The prime is much more hand held friendly...

The prime is much better against flare... but not flare resistant. The zoom is maybe Nikon's worst lens on that matter, it can peak it even from behind...

The prime can take rear gelatine filters...

Distortion is much less with the prime but it's "mustache" type... it needs "stretch tool" to correct, but the frame remains as wide as shot after correction, it's a little wider too (significantly wider if distortion is corrected in both)

Now, most important from all... the prime has much different scene presentation... only the new Zeiss 15 has a similar one... it's got ...pincushion distortion in the corners! The zoom has a presentation like if it is a "wider" 24mm... (which it is)...

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr
http://www.fotometriawedding.gr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow