Recommended stereo microphones for the K5II?

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Questions thread
Sophie Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,673Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended stereo microphones for the K5II?
In reply to SGary, Dec 12, 2012

SGary wrote:

Sophie Wilson wrote:

Here's a little report on the "shotgun" microphones. Labelled HDTZ HT-81, which the web tells me isn't quite as good as the HT-81a, there's a lot in the box - microphone, nice long lead (XLR to .25in mono jack), two microphone holders for different sorts of stand, foam wind shield, .25in to 3.5mm mono jack converter. There's a switch on the microphone which is OFF, Normal and Tele and the microphone needs an AA battery to work. Even when used with four cascaded XLR 8m extension leads, the sound is clear (phew - important for stage work!). The one blot was a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x .25in female turned out to be to stereo so the mono jacks don't allow me to connect two microphones to the camera - try again!

Anyway, looks like decent quality and very good value for money even though I can't use them yet due to that connecting lead.

Sophie

I just looked up the HDTZ HT-81 but I don't understand where two microphones would be connected via mono jacks to the camera since the microphone you are discussing is stereo and has a stereo 0.25in (6.35mm) jack to mini 0.14in (3.5mm) jack adaptor included with it, according to a review I just read. I think that this particular 3.5mm mini would work with the Pentax. I suppose if you wanted to connect more than one microphone to the camera you could use a mixer and still connect to the camera the usual way.

-- hide signature --

sgary

No, its certainly a mono microphone... With mono 0.25 to mono 3.5mm adaptor supplied - the lead terminates in a mono 0.25in jack. The new widget to connect two mono microphones to left and right of a 3.5mm stereo jack has now arrived, so I get to try it in full binaural soon.

Sophie

Sophie Wilson's gear list:Sophie Wilson's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Sony Alpha 7R +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow