Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spendthrift
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
New a99 owner here....which 85mm?
Dec 12, 2012

I've just moved over to the a99 from the 5D3 and I am finding it difficult to make some lens choices.  At the moment I'm looking at 85's.  I've been trying to decided between the Sigma HSM and the Zeiss.  The Zeiss is double the cost of the Sigma and uses the body to focus.  I must admit I'm not overy impressed with the focusing system of the a99...the spread is far to constricted and the non-cross type focus points are dreadful in all but the best of light.  What I think exacerbates the perception of sub-par AF is the noise and feel of the focusing using the motor.

I have yet to use a SSM type lens on this body and wonder if this will improve the feel and performance of the AF.  I'm intrigued by the stellar review of the Zeiss 85 and have enjoyed all the Zeiss lenses I've used in the past, but, the Sigma also gets rave reviews and has HSM and, last but not least, is half the price.  Can anyone chime in with their experience of either or both of these lenses.

I have used only three lenses thus far; the sony 50 .14 (returned...not worth it), Minolta 50 1.7 (used and cheap, good stopped down), and a Sigma 50 macro.  All three use the body motor.  Will a premium lens such as the Zeiss 85 have a better AF feel and performance with the body motor or it this just wishful thinking on my part?  I really want the Zeiss but I'm wondering if I'll be better served by the Sigma.

Thanks

Evan

Spendthrift's gear list:Spendthrift's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow