A New Tamron 24-70mm VC or used Nikkor 24-70mm for the same price?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
wint
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Re: A New Tamron 24-70mm VC or used Nikkor 24-70mm for the same price?
In reply to marike6, Dec 12, 2012

marike6 wrote:

For photography, I'd choose the Nikkor, one of the best standard zooms ever. For video and some photography, I'd get the Tamron as VC works extremely well for handheld video work. That said, it's doubtful that you'll be able to find a used Nikon 24-70 2.8 for $1299, the selling price of the new Tamron. And the 24-70 VC, if you are willing to buy from some of the Ebay Hong Kong sellers, you can get for $1100. If you find a Nikon for that price it will likely be extremely well used (read beat up), and not a good choice.

Indeed, in the end I bought a like new Nikkor for $1600. I'll miss the VC but for video lenses VC helps only a little since it has been built for photo not for video. I have a Panasonic camcorder that uses uses five-axis correction and it's superb. Can't compare with any VC lenses.

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow