Canon s95 amateur using full auto looking for something faster for fast moving toddler. Ideas?

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Questions thread
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon s95 amateur using full auto looking for something faster for fast moving toddler. Ideas?
In reply to iAutobot, Dec 12, 2012

I had the same problems you're having a few years ago - I had fast-moving targets and poor indoor light. Believe me - 16 months ain't that fast compared to 3, 6, 12 years old.... Even a top of the line prosumer camera wasn't cutting it - shutter lag, poor high ISO, inaccurate WB, slow RAW write times, and slow electronic zooming dogged me mercilessly. Looking back at those shots  - when I pinned the kid down and took my time to think about the light they're fantastic; when I try to catch the joy of play - nothing much. A couple lucky shots.

I bit the bullet and bought a consumer-level dSLR with a 2-lens kit, cheapest on the market at the time, put it on "P" and shot away - and now I've got some great memories. IMHO, you should too. A big-arsed pro-level external flash is also worth the money for indoor shooting - more so than an expensive, fancy dSLR or lens.

Colin.

-- hide signature --

unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow