Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
geraldPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?
Re: More Pictures
In reply to deleted-13120401, Dec 12, 2012

Hi Hoosh,

Thank you for your comments!

The weird shadow falloff is natural so I don't know what's weird about it. I could crop my shadow out but in this case showing that I was there and leaving it full frame is my decision.

I am Australian and I haven't been back to Melbourne in a couple of years. I am entitled to walk around where I need to get some errands done and I shoot when I can wander a bit.

And as I live in North Carlton I assure you that many of the photos were taken in the same suburbs you mentioned. And I don't see why a tourist popular location should not count as being essentially Melbourne. Is St. Kilda beach not worthy of any attention because backpackers go?

These pictures were never meant to be your definitive photo-essay on street culture in Melbourne. What you were looking for probably takes some serious commitment and research.

For that I hope to see your collection as you seem to be the authority on what best represents Melbourne. Western suburbs, gentrification, working class life...seriously?

I just share a bunch of photos and you were expecting a life's work?

-gerald

500px / Gerald Gay / Tripping Melbourne

hoosh wrote:

I think this photo is great (except for the weird shadow falloff on the left, and the silhouette of yourself on the ground... it looks like someone holding up a camera anyway)

Comments on the content (not technical aspects) of your photos: I lived in Melbourne for about 10 years though and I don't think your other photos are a good representation of street life there AT ALL. That graffiti-ed alleyway is a popular tourist and wedding (as one of your photos illustrates) photography spot and St Kilda is also where all the backpackers or those out for a boozy night out go. Sorry, for street/documentary there places to go that give far more insight: down to the suburbs, the surf beaches, the urban coffee shops, urban built up areas like Port Melbourne, Brunswick/North Fitzroy/Carlton etc. Even that's a snapshot, also need western suburbs, gentrification and working class life, and other aspects.

I think it's hard to do street/doco work without a lot of pre-research or living in a place for a while. Suggest for your next trip you think about this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow