Metz AF-1 AF Illuninator...

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Metz AF-1 AF Illuninator...
In reply to Chris Tofalos, Dec 12, 2012

Chris Tofalos wrote:

So, back to my original question: Does the Metz 44 AF-1's illuminator work?...

Right now, I believe the only flash's focus assist light that works with micro 4/3rds is the Olympus FL-600R flash with the Olympus E-M5. I would expect the E-PL5 and E-PM2 to also work with the FL-600R since they are essentially stripped down E-M5's. Given the Panasonic G-H3 added remote flash TTL support, it may also have added the FL-600R focus assist support.

The Metz 44 AF-1 was introduced before the E-M5, so I would not expect the focus assist light to work, unless Metz has come out with a firmware update.

As others have said, the focus assist light should work on the classic 4/3rds cameras like the E-5.

In terms of why would you want to use the focus assist light on the flash over the light on the camera body, I know of at least two reasons:

• The focus assist light on the flashes is a lot more powerful than the light on the camera body, and would be able to focus on further items;
  • If you have a large lens, it might block the focus assist light on the camera.
 Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow