NOT OK: R3000 second print (ABW) - lot of regular linear scratches... :(

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
NeroMetalliko
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: On the R3000 rear feeder
In reply to Petruska, Dec 12, 2012

Petruska wrote:

no the R2880 rear paper support doesn't fit and you really can't use the rear roll paper slot as I don't see how you would set the page size of a single sheet.

About the OP, he was using the "top" auto sheet feeder and I don't believe that he had one failed sheet test using that top feeder.

To be really precise, the first time I used it with the Pearl paper, if you remember, I got a nice image but unlucky head strikes and ink on borders. The other attempts where done with the hand "decurled" paper and you are right, this worked correctly.

However, there are two minor thing regarding the top sheet tray I want to highlight:

- Sometimes using the top sheet tray the paper borders were damaged by the not so gentle feeding mechanism. This could be an annoying issue for borderless print (which I tend to avoid), not so much for standard border print that could always be trimmed.

- I have an issue with QTR not correctly addressing the trays in the R3000, so printing in QTR currently here was possible ONLY using the top sheet tray.

By comparing the results with prints done in ABW+front tray it seem to me that the QTR+sheet tray is sligtly less detailed and more blurred. Not clear atm if this has something to do with the tray rather than the screening algorithm but I report it here for the sake of completeness (I'm in contact with Roy, the author of QTR, and I will further investigate the issue). QTR doesn't seem to have settings for paper thickness and platen-gap, and I don't see them in the printer menu too, so this could complicate the use of QTR in R3000 a bit.

I have only used the top auto feeder for any type of thick paper, including canvas, sizes to 13x19, without ever having a bad print. I tried canvas using the front manual sheet feeder and it was a disaster, so was it using the R2880. I thought it would be like the super nice front feed system of the Canon PRO9000 but it isn't.

Also the R3000 front manual sheet feeder only has one paper guide on the right side unlike the R2880 which also has a second adjustable left paper guide to give a nice straight paper feed.

Bob P.

Sad to know, I'm wondering why a more recent printer could miss a feature present in the previous model of the same class...

Many thanks to all of you for your precious support.

Ciao

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow