Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
marilynR
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: LOOK HERE:...
In reply to Sdaniella, Dec 12, 2012

Hi sdyue - you have made some interesting comments.

I agree with you that it is important to test your camera in a lot of situations, in order to learn its strengths and what settings work best for you. But unfortunately, with Canon sensors, it seems like you have to take some extra amount of care with the settings and exposure methods as well. For example, if you read people's comments on Amazon, some camera owners (of other brands) say that they do not have to exercise such care, and that their shots come out wonderful, right out of the box.

That is why I brought up the subject of Dynamic Range. I have been wondering if I should buy a different camera with a better sensor, perhaps, for example, an Olympus PEN camera. In the end, I decided to spend more time learning how to get the most out of my Canon Digital Rebel 450D. I feel that its supposed limitations in its dynamic range can be largely handled by shooting in RAW. It also seems that the newer Canon EOS 650D would give a photographer much more control and options than what I have with my older model. When I can afford it, I will upgrade.

That is also why I suggested that for now, while he is learning his new camera, the original poster use software to improve the look of his Jpegs, so that he can enjoy the shots he already got. I agree with you that there is a lot he can do with them. But if he had shot them in RAW, he could possibly recover even better highlight detail.

As for post-processing, I prefer using Adobe Camera RAW in many cases. Its newest 2012 version (which comes with Photoshop CS6, and also with Lightroom 4) has been really tweaked to be very effective and easier to use.

marilynR's gear list:marilynR's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow