Is there an advantage to the 1" sensor? Opinions requested.

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there an advantage to the 1" sensor? Opinions requested.
In reply to viking79, Dec 12, 2012

I'd give small sensors two clear advantages: Macro and fast tele.  You need more depth of field in macro photography, and you can build much faster longer lenses for smaller and cheaper if they only have to cover a small sensor (e.g. Panasonic FZ200).  When N1 builds lenses for these (and stops thinking their cameras are worth $800), it's worth a look, but if you're going to have to use DX/FX lenses to get these results, most of the advantage is negated.

I'm personally looking forward to the day Nikon get their eureka moment and realise they can actually out bridge all the bridge cameras out there with their N1 system.  A 1" sensor-covering 35mm/f2 macro lens (cost=$2-300?) would give you a 95mm/f4 macro equivalent on FF but brighter.  A 50mm/f1.8 would make a great 135.  Both of these are proven to be able to be made very cheaply on DSLR sensors, so would be less glass and cheaper on a 1" sensor, as the advanced compacts have shown how to do it.  Even a 70-200/f4 (cost=$500?) would give a 190-540mm tele zoom and shouldn't cost a bomb.  Then they already have the budget 10/2.8 (27mm equivalent) for walkaround purposes.  They do have a 85mm equiv f1.2 portrait prime supposed to come out soon which will be probably ok (but overpriced), but I'd get a $50 legacy 55/1.4 for APS-C crop over that any day of the week for portrait purposes.

The problem is they're trying to compete in the main consumer segment with kit lenses and some standard primes and there's really no advantage of the 1" sensor there over m4/3 or APS-C.  Flat images, low DR, the only advantage is their fast AF but nobody remembers the AF, it's the pictures you take that are remembered.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow