Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,809
Like?
Decided to go with the NEX 6 and sell the NEX 7
Dec 12, 2012

I bought the NEX 7 kit recently and soon after the Sony 10-18 lens.  When I saw several helpful reviews showing the magenta cast with this combination, I decided to test more to see how much of an issue it might be.  The more I used the combination the more I saw the magenta cast.   So, I got the NEX 6 kit to compare the cameras and the performance with the 10-18.  I thought I’d share some of the highlights of the comparison for anyone trying to decide on one of these cameras and/or the Sony 10-18 lens.

Things I like about the NEX 6
- Auto ISO to 3200
- Auto White Balance is more accurate to me
- Performance with the 10-18 OSS (and presumably other lenses that don't play nice with the 7)
- Hybrid AF -- I haven't really tested the hybrid AF enough so I don't really know how much of a difference it will make.
- Wifi and apps– This is probably the feature I ignored/overlooked more than any other.  The Wifi is nice but I was surprised to find that I like the apps and the potential for future functionality like the upcoming timelapse app.  This didn’t really register with me until I had the camera to try it out.

Things I like about the NEX 7
- Resolution at base ISO
- Build quality – the NEX 6 is solid and I don't have any complaints but the NEX 7 does feel better.
- Battery charger – no battery charger with the NEX 6?? Seriously??  I can’t remember ever buying a camera that didn’t have a battery charger especially one in this price range!

Sony 10-18 NEX 6 vs NEX 7
This is probably the biggest determining factor for me.  I really like the Sony 10-18, don’t plan on getting rid of it, and it just performs better on the NEX 6.  I know you can correct some/all of the magenta cast in PP but I’m not confident that I can or that I want to given the choice.  The NEX 6 with the 10-18 is just a better experience.  It took using the lens a while with different subjects/lighting AND comparing images between the NEX 6 and 7 to really see the difference.  I'm glad to have the choice though but if I didn't I would have kept the NEX 7 with the 10-18.

Sony 16-50 PZ
I also decided to keep the 18-55 and sell the 16-50.  I didn’t have any major issues with the 16-50’s image quality but the 18-55 seems a little better, is more comfortable to me and I just can’t seem to warm up to the power zoom lenses.  If I cared about video I might have kept it.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow