Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dawindyk
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: Panasonic G3 or Nikon V1?
In reply to jonikon, Dec 12, 2012

jonikon wrote:

Dawindyk wrote:

Come on - do you expect that anyone here will be fair comparing N1 to any other mirrorless? That's one of main issues with forums - on most of them one can find mostly trolls and fanboys. Most of guys replying here most probably never even had a chance to use G3 other than in shop but that wouldn't stop them from posting BS (and the same happens so often on most of forums I've visited here). I've just picked my G3 with 12-35 and in my current, poorly lit so ISO 1600, location it took a picture instantly. I've tested it in the same situation with N5100 and PK5 (both with 2.8 lens) and G3 was either as fast or faster. There's a lot of things to like or dislike about both G3 and V1 but telling that AF in G3 is on P&S level is just a pure lie

Since you are calling me a liar I will return the favor, and ask you to explain the facts below, and if you can not counter these facts with other facts to prove me wrong, then, you should apologize gracefully, and sneak back to your hideout under your m43 bridge!

Based on these actual measured numbers, it is clear that the focusing specification for the Panasonic G3 is inferior to that of a P&S camera made 7 years ago. You have not acknowledged that fact, so you are the one who is doing the OP a disservice by giving him the false impression that the G3 focuses faster than all P&S cameras.

Shutter lag times with a full press, and full autofocus, at wide angle, (Imaging Resource numbers in fractions of seconds).

Nikon V1 (circa 2011) = 0.097

Sony V3 (circa 2004) = 0.28

Panasonic G3 (circa 2011) = 0.293 second

- Jon

You don't seem to understand these numbers I guess. It's not a test of G3 or V1 - it's a test of these cameras with a kit lens (Panasonic 14-42 is quite a slow one - you can see that all types of focusing take roughly the same amount of time while in V1 are quite different). If You compare manual focus tests (which removes lens from equation) G3 has 0.091 s and V1 0.075 s - that's the actual time to take the picture. Replace kit lens with a different one (45/1.8 is a good example, another one is 12-35) and you have a completely different result. To show you how strange results you can get from just looking at numbers let's look at prefocus times:

v1: 0.073

g3: 0.08

sony v3: 0.011

So I guess V1 has to be very slow camera if it's 7 times slower than 2004 P&S ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow