Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really bad
In reply to iancrowe, Dec 11, 2012

iancrowe wrote:

Sadly the OP was shooting in the "Basic" modes, to quote:-

"shot around 1000 pictures in various modes (automatic, landscape, night, some portraits shots, etc. etc.)"

This means no RAW files to tweak

That was true in the old days, but not anymore.

My T3i can shoot RAW in the green box or any of the Basic modes. Also as of the T3i, they went to Basic+, which means there are now options in the basic modes that can be controlled.

For instance in landscape mode while shooting jpeg or raw, you can now go in through the Q menu choose darker or brighter, or vivid or cool, dial in the strength of the setting on a 3 step scale, and also select for the lighting type in terms of white balance.

I don't use them, but this is very useful for people like the OP. For instance, he could have looked at Live View in landscape mode, seen a landscape was more overexposed than he wanted, hit the Q button, selected darker and set the strength, looked at Live View again to make sure the fix worked, and then taken the photo in his choice of raw or jpeg.

The Basic+ never seems to get mentioned in the comparisons between cameras in this group, but for the great majority of non-enthusiasts who shoot in jpeg and don't use manual settings, that is a major advance that started with the T3i / 600D.

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow