Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting how taking photos has progressed
In reply to Omni88, Dec 11, 2012

Omni88 wrote:

Taking a picture now is not as simple as point-and-shoot.... as mentioned in these threads, be aware of or make pre-adjustments (EC, bracketing, meter mode, etc.) and review the histogram after each picture you take. And it's obviously become the "norm" as mentioned numerous times in these threads to shoot RAW then fix/adjust pictures later in post with Photoshop or other software. This adds more time and complexity to the entire process before photos are typically view ready, but I can see how it also allows for more creative freedom after the picture has been taken to fix, cleanup, or alter photos after the fact.

Seems like taking photographs with 35mm cameras were a much simpler time... at least until you got a batch of photos back from the developer only to find you shot something in a wrong mode or setting and the entire batch was wrecked... and you had no way to go back and re-shoot. Now talk about a bad set of photos which you had no way of fixing at all!

Here is a simple tip that will make things easier for you:  don't wait until the image is taken.  Just move your thumb, hit the "live view" button and take a quick one second look.  No need to focus, which is slow, but you will see a "live simulation" of the ending photo just the way the camera plans on taking it, and you can see whether there is an issue with white balance or exposure.   Be sure the histograms are displaying as well, which you can do by cycling through the options with the INFO button (assuming your T4i works like my T3i).

Again, you are NOT focusing or composing with Live View, which can be time consuming.  You are just doing a very quick check of exposure and color, flick it on and flick it off, then take the photo the normal way through the viewfinder.  You don't need to do it every photo, but every now and then and in new situations is good.

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow