Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,013
Like?
Re: imac 27" i5 vs i7 for CS6 and LR-repy to kb and gray
In reply to kb2zuz, Dec 11, 2012

Hi \~K,

I have not used Reply with quote as your post is up to detail and very clear. Thank you.

I also have 2006 iMac with 4GB of RAM installed but only 3GB recognized. This iMac HD failed, partly to my ignorance. My iMac started working hot and after 40 minutes to one hour in LR4 it would slow down due yo high temperature and then turned itself OFF. After cooling it would work fine. Several times I have used an ice pack attached to the back-side, top to complete editing. A tech at a local Apple store offer free cleaning as he said the inside dust is often the common problem for such symptoms. I have delayed it and HD failed with Data Corrupted Error, so my iMac became not bootable. The only way was to reformat HD. I have reformatted HD and installed OSX. After that the iMac was working fine, however, the drive reliability trust became damaged. Apple suggested replacement of the old 250GB with 1GB as the only available. The 250GB drives are history in Apple parts department for iMac. I have replaced HD as my son wanted this computer.

In my new iMac as discussed I am more to select i5 as found on Adobe forum a very serious problem with i7 hyper-threading and Lightroom 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. Adobe knows about this problem and was trying to fix it with no success, advising as a temporary solution to turn OFF the  hyper-threading. Adobe promising again the fix at the LR 4.3 level. I am not sure is this problem also applied to Photoshop CS6. The i5 has 4 treads instead of 8 and as I read the turbo boost helps with the processing speed. Bare Feats site

http://barefeats.com/  ) posts multiple tests and i5 speed results closely trail the i7. I can judge the test results assuming the test designed and run correctly but not the processors or tests themselves.

Leo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow