Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
Walk-around lens for NEX?
Dec 11, 2012

I normally shoot with a Sony a850 and a (heavy) bag of lenses and would like a LIGHT camera-lens combination to compliment my other gear. I spend a lot of time on the forums on Dpreview, but not specifically here on the NEX, so bare with me if this is a much discussed topic.

My walk-around lens on the a850 is the wonderful old Minolta 28-135 f4.0-4.5. I find this zoom range to be extremely versatile. I understand why Sony hasn’t replaced this lens on FF because it would be very expensive and have a limited audience. However, the similar-niche 16-80 CZ was one of the first APS-C lenses Sony issued and it has been very popular to the best of my knowledge. While I dearly love my extremely sharp 28-135 on FF, it is heavy to carry all day and as I get older it miraculously gets heavier.

For me, as a walk-around replacement system, the NEX7 leaps to the top of the list except for one thing. The kit lens is too short and the 18-200 seems like I would be compromising image quality a fair amount to get this 'little' superzoom. So how come there isn’t a high quality 16-80 or 18-105 (or some-such) E-mount lens somewhere vaguely in this useful range? The very reason people might want the small and light NEX, lacks the one single lens that I would think would be most useful. It seems to me that this would be one of the first lenses I’d introduce for the NEX…not the last.

What am I missing here?

Bruce

Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow