Selling nex 7 for rx1?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,738Gear list
Like?
Re: Selling nex 7 for rx1?
In reply to Alphamale77, Dec 11, 2012

Alphamale77 wrote:

To your main question: trade the Nex-7 with E24 for a RX-1?

• Not here: lenses last longer than bodies, and the quality of the E24 is astonishingly high.
  • The RX-1 adds the FF experience to this FOV - ie. low noise and different DOF.
  • I really would like the PDAF solution on a RX-1. 
The FF sensor would probable make a difference in <5% of all pictures taken. All of the stopped down (low noise) images and non-E24 FOV would not benefit from the RX-1. So it makes the RX-1 a specialty camera.
I find the E24 (35mm equiv. view) not the best lens for traveling. It is a good compromise, and works well with people, but it is too narrow for scenery, architecture, and too wide for details. I guess cropping is an option to be considered, but I end up taking another lens, or two. 

yea, that's where the urge came from after reading his post, i love that butterfly shot.

Full Frame versus APS-C.

I was surprised to hear the Rx1 still living with cd type focus, i would thought sony brought over the 6 and 5r stuff over.

This is the biggest negative about the RX-1 - focusing will be identical to the Nex-7 in terms of CDAF and so will focus misses. But slow and inaccurate CDAF focusing didn't stop the Fujifilm X100 from being successful either (but it has an OVF).

The RX-1 24Mp sensor is a winner imo, and better than the 36Mp D800 version (I care about low noise more than high resolution). Both D800 and D600 (RX-1) sensors were developed pre-PDAF and I guess we will have to wait and see if PDAF will make it to the FF sensor in a Nex-9 (I certainly hope so).

If PDAF shows up in an RX-2, I may pull the trigger, but by then I expect to be able to choose between Nex-9 or RX-2. To me, it is an ease-of-use factor, I tend to take pictures of family and have family take pictures with the camera - no need for them to understand DMF and so on.

i guess Rx2 would be the no brainier for me, after they put in an evf and a better resolution back lcd. (hardware limits)

There is an add-on EVF for the RX-1, expensive and bulky, but HQ.

Did you own the 7 +24 zeiss combo? care to share some samples?

Use the DPreview search archives - it will find all camera+lens combo's that you specify.

• Click on Sample Images on top of your screen
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow