Opinions of selling equipment to Adorama

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
rjx
rjx
Contributing MemberPosts: 844Gear list
Like?
Sorry. Here's what I wanted to show you
In reply to lefkop, Dec 11, 2012

I'm a member at the forum I linked to. Last night I was browsing and happened to find a post you might be interested in.

The post is by Helen Oster, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador.

"The Adorama used department get upwards of 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week and at any given time there are 26 - 27,000 used items in the warehouse
The way the value is established is by using a calculation which takes into account the number of exact same units in the warehouse at the time of your trade; the average number of that same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available.

In addition, the selling prices on the website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much the used department might be able to pay you for your gear.
When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.

While you will be offered 70% of the current value (as calculated above), unless you are selling a genuine collectors' piece, in my experience you shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see on our website. If you do, then it’s a bonus.
We always advise customers that if they are unhappy with the amount they are offered that we will ship their goods right back, fully insured.
If you would like me to arrange this, please let me know."

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow