Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nexographer
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Hopeless: New 10-18mm on NEX-7
Dec 11, 2012

After updating my NEX-7 with the latest firmware and seeing the improvements in terms of magenta corner correction on my SEL16, I decided to spend €850 on the SEL 10-18mm and hoping that this could be my major landscape lens to go with my 7 for some time to come.

Arrived yesterday, and I was really excited seeing the superb build and finish. So this afternoon with a little daylight left I went out into the fresh snow to do some quick first look photos.

Well - turns out it's a lot worse than I had expected. Magenta corners were already visible in the viewfinder, but when I had the images on screen I couldn't believe how bad it was. Surely snow is a critical subject but the magenta corners are also visible in the blue sky.

I'd say from 10 to 12mm the effect is actually worse than with my SEL16 BEFORE the firmware update. I can not believe Sony is putting out a firmware update that does not work for this new lens. So, here I have a 2k€ camera/lens combo that is basically useless for anything other than B/W.

Quick comparison at 18mm against my SEL 18-200 at f/5.6 and f/8 shows also that the 18-200 is sharper in the center and much sharper in the corner.

I really like my NEX-7 for its size, finish and superb results with the right lens and I'm trying hard to accept its design issues, but with the experience of the 10-18mm this is getting quite hopeless in terms of wide-angle options.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow