Transferring software licenses and user data to new Mac

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Questions thread
Richard Briscoe
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: Transferring software licenses and user data to new Mac
In reply to 10sj03, Dec 11, 2012
=

Honestly, I don't know. I am worried deleting the application by moving it to trash will not delete everything the application installed in the hard disk. May be I still have the Windows experience where the applications need uninstall and hope for the best Windows cleans up all files created by the installation. I thought there is no uninstall option for Mac.

There are several shareware applications that delete all the files associated with an application as well as the application which is deleted when you drag it to the trash. Take a look at MacUpdate.com and you will see several. I have used AppZapper and AppDelete and they appear to get arid of everything. In any event, they certainly get arid of most of the "leftover" files for the overwhelming majority of applications.

I have also used these applications to locate an oddly named preference (.plist) file if I think it is causing a problem.

HTH

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow