Disappointed with Canon 600EX flash power

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
40d_dane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
Re: Disappointed with Canon 600EX flash power
In reply to rar133, Dec 11, 2012

rar133 wrote:

i Just bought a 600EX to replace my 430EX. i shoot mainly with my 24-105 F/4 and while the 430EX never let me down, using an F/4 with high ceiling meant high ISO and sometimes 1/1 power, of course with the disadvantage of low recycling.

while looking forward to a big jump in power with the 600EX (i expected using 1/4 power as an equivalent of 1/1 on my 430EX), i have been left majorly puzzled in the couple of weddings i shot. i found myself using 1/2 and 1/1 power most of the time.

today i did an improvised testing and shot both flashes with the same settings (f/4, 1/250) and used ISO 100,400 and 1000. on each ISO increment, i shot a series with ETTL, E+1, E+2, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/1.

Equip: canon 24-105, canon 60D and camelion 2100mAh rechargeables.

while comparing the pictures in LR and looking at histograms , at each equivalent shot (600EX and 430EX), the images look pretty similar, just a tiny minuscule advantage to the 600EX, but seriously nothing much in it.

possible explanations:

- my 600EX has a serious problem?

- my batteries not giving enough juice?

- am i doing something wrong?

- they are supposed to give the same power and i spent a shitload of money on a flash i didnt need.

Please help!

In addition to what's already been posted in reply:

If you want to compare flash power don't use ETTL. Use manual flash. If the camera flash metering work as intended and the distance to the subject isn't too long for the weaker flash the outcome of the test as you have described it should show identical results for any flash.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow