ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
give and take some info on K-5 avi video (re)format
Dec 11, 2012

Hi all,

experimenting with the K-5 video, I found some strange thing and I ask anybody who knows more to enlighten me - thanks.

Although this may get a little long, I would like to tell you what and how I'm doing with K-5 video:

I'm not a videographer bus I do video for everyday, family etc.

Most of the time I use my Panasonic TZ7 (ZS3) with HD 720p (AVCHD Lite 50 imgs/sec) or mov (MJPG at 30 imgs/sec) because resolution is good enough and the TZ7 does Stereo sound, auto exposure and even continuous auto AF for video. I also have a Panasonic TV which can play AVCHD and DivX videos (directly from SC-card or USB stick). It's a Full HD TV which seems to be flexible regarding 50p, 50i, 60p and 60i.

I like the MJPG videos because of it's sequence of single JPG images (a kind of uncompressed video RAW). So I started to use the DivX trial SW (www.divx.com) to transform the TZ7 MJPG videos to DivX (720p, which isn't possible after the trial period any more).

After that I was getting interest in testing the Full HD 1080p video of the K-5 (25 imgs/sec, mono sound only). It's also MJPG in an avi container format. It transformes into DivX very well with the DivX Converter and play smooth on my TV.

But - that's why I'm writing here:

Till now I could not manage to view the K-5 1080p video on my notebook without jitter. Not in it's orig. format nor in the DivX 1080p compressed format!

BTW: My notebook is a Sony VPCF 11S1E with i7 CPU, 6GB RAM and nVidia GeForce GT 330M.

First I wanted to be able to transform MJPG videos to compressed formats with different frame rates (imgs/sec). The DivX converter has no option to do it. Then I found 'Any Video Converter' AVC here: www.any-video-converter.com. In the Download area you find Freeware and there is the AVC Free (AVC-F). It does all conversions which are offered by the payed versions AFAIK.

Now here's the second reason why I'm writing here:

AVC can't read the K-5 Full HD video format (MJPG, avi) !!! ????

If 'Any' in AVC stands for any, then it's in the 'read' I guess. My conclusion:

Something about the K-5 avi video format is special.

That's where you are invited to let us know: Iis this correct and what is special (if it is).

To get around this, I tried 'my old mov-converter friend' MP4Cam2AVI (vers. 2.99, www.videohelp.com), which can put MJPEG video into new container formats without video resampling. Till yesterday I used it for mov -> avi but it also can do K-5 avi -> avi. The latter can be read by AVC !

I have tried different video formats generated by AVC (all 1080p with 25p or 30p or 50p or 60p) with different players but no one played as smooth on my notebook as on my TV. I also changed video card rate on my notebook from 60Hz to 50Hz and back without success - there is a distracting jitter all the time.

Thanks for reading so far. Any help or hint?

Here's a hint for Richard:

AVC can adjust the audio volume!

Go to the ''Options' menu then to 'Audio' there's a slider for volume adjustment.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)
http://g3.img-dpreview.com/8585D0A93A254C778C7BC23CB31298BC.jpg

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Pentax K-5 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow