60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 = why bother?

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Questions thread
sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Re: 60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 = why bother?
In reply to natalienatalie1, Dec 11, 2012

The 60D is a great camera body. Plenty of learning built in. I happen to like the ergonomics of my 60D just fine, but that's not to say I wouldn't prefer the old joystick on my 20D. However, I'm very happy to trade that for the swivel LCD.

The EF 50mm 1.8 is a very good lens optically. The current all-plastic version is notoriously fragile with many people reporting that it "just came apart." I bought a used metal-mount Mk I version for $140 because of that.

A 50mm lens is a bit long if that's all you have for a crop body. The 18-55 EF-S kit lenses are often available on Craigslist for $100 or less if you are living in or near a major metropolitan area. People often feel the need to upgrade from the kit lens to a better walkaround zoom and you can benefit. The 55-250 zoom is often available on Craigslist for $150 or less.

I've had very good luck buying lenses and other things on Craigslist, but you do need to be thoughtful and careful. I've seen some obviously stolen lenses, one in just the past day. (How do I know? The zoom lens was listed as an "Image Stabilizer accessory" instead of a lens.) If you agree to meet someone, do it in a public place and take a friend just in case.

However, you don't seem to be getting much of a deal on the used 60D body if you are paying $700 for it. Amazon will sell you a new 60D plus the 18-135mm lens for $899 right now with free shipping.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson
www.sleibson.com
Shooting with Canons for 40 years

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow