Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 not suitable for architecture ??

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 not suitable for architecture ??
Dec 11, 2012

QVB  Lumix 12-35mm @ 12mm f4 hand held

Strand  Lumix 12-35mm @12mm f4 handheld

Strand  Lumix 12-35mm @12mm f4 handheld

Some reviewers of this lens have reported adversely about some of it's inherent characteristics, particularly barrel distortion and corner shading at 12mm in uncorrected RAW files. However if the lens is mounted on a Panasonic Lumix M43 camera and the RAW files processed in Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom these "problems" are barely detectable. The three pix attached are just casual hand held shots made while strolling around Sydney this week. Camera Panasonic Lumix G5. I adjusted exposure, color balance, highlights and shadows in ACR plus a little correction of residual color fringing in the high contrast edges of the glass ceilings and a touch of sharpening. No adjustment to distortion or corner shading was used.  The lens is fine, but it would appear that for best results a Panasonic body and careful selection of RAW converter are desirable.  Like it or not, I think that post capture correction of undesirable lens characteristics is here to stay. By the way there is a sign in the upper right corner of the QVB photo. I very much doubt you will be able to read it in the downsized and compressed version reproduced here but in the original file I can just read all the letters.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow