Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Picture Samples
In reply to Omni88, Dec 11, 2012

In some of the images (nr 1,2 4,6) the highlights were clipped. HTP and -1/3 to -1 stop exposure compensation would have saved them. Nr 3 and 5 are correctly exposed and can be can be improved with editing since nothing was clipped.

Looking at the histograms I don't think this is an ALO problem. The dynamic range was too high because the images were taken middays. This is why I shoot RAW. You could start to use RAW+JPEG for a while, using RAW as fallback to fine-tune exposure. Start with DPP that came with your camera, if you don't touch the setting the JPEGs it produces will look much like the ones camera produces. Other editing programs like Lightroom are better but produce different colors and tone curves the camera does.

If you want to keep shooting JPEG only my tips would be to:

• Turn on highlight-tone priority. This will make the tone curve less steep at the end of the curve (in the highlights), giving you less clipped blown-out highlights like on the bus and in the clouds.
  • Turn on the histogram so you can see (eg in liveview) how much you need to under-expose using the Av +/- button

I shoot RAW and for most pictures I too have to recover highlights. RAW gives you back the blacks and whites that would otherwise be clipped in the JPEG, also with smoother gradients after processing due to a higher bit depth. I only lower the exposure to prevent clipping to retain as much brightness in the captured image (also called exposure to the right)..

Another method for JPEG shooters is: Set your exposure compensation to -2 stops. Spot meter the brightest area (* button), focus, make your composition and take the image. Then in low-contrast situations (at morning, in the evening, cloudy days) you only have to push down shadows or reduce the expose when post-processing (eg. using Picasa), preventing noise amplification problems.

Welcome to DSLR photography where simple pictures become more difficult and difficult ones more easy.

Hope it helps,

10s

10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow