P7700: the ribbed lens ring - what is it about?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Questions thread
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: ca. 56.5 mm
In reply to Rivertay, Dec 11, 2012

Rivertay wrote:

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know where I can buy a step up set that includes 56.5mm?

Thanks

Rick

-- hide signature --

Is it better to capture the moment imperfectly than not to capture it all? Hope so because most of mine are imperfect!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivertay/

56.5 mm sits right in the middle between two standard thread sizes - 55 and 58 mm. It seems they did it on purpose (to actually prevent use of converters etc. perhaps?). I am not aware of any extension tubes or step-up rings of this size.

I did try holding a Canon 2x tele converter (attached to the extension tube for Canon A650IS) to the front of P7700. The extension tube was just long enough so that the front of P7700 lens did not touch the rear element of the converter when fully extended. I was holding everything in my hands so the whole setup was not exactly stable. But the camera was able to focus at full tele (meaning 400 mm focal distance equivalent). The image was not ideally sharp though (slightly blurry). However, I think it might work if the correct distance between the P7700 lens and the converter was found, but I am not sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow