What are Some Methods of Handling This Lighting Situation?

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Poppa
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
What are Some Methods of Handling This Lighting Situation?
Dec 11, 2012

I take a lot of pictures at our church events; Kids activities, dinners, plays, etc. Most of the pictures are candids during the event.  Recently we moved into a new building with a multi-purpose auditorium that is one of the most challenging from a photography point of view that I've encountered. The room is a large room with a 20' ceiling. The room, including the ceiling, is painted a light green and has both fluorescent and incandescent lighting. Sometimes both sets of lights are on and sometimes just the incandescent are used. One wall is 12' glass for the entire length of the wall and another wall is mostly glass.The floors are bare concrete.

Without flash I have a lot of trouble with different color casts on people. Since there is no surface to bounce a flash off of, using the flash will cause a flat look without shadows unless I just use it as a fill flash which again has problems with color casts. Also a flash is going to cause a shadow behind the person if they are close to a wall.

Taking candids of many of the events requires taking pictures from many different angles and locations within the auditorium, so I can't just optimize for one location.

If the person I want to take a picture of is at the right location near one of the windows and it is day time the task is fairly easy. Just use the outside light as the main light and add fill flash as needed. However I really struggle with getting a quality photo in most other locations. Most of the time I just resort to using a direct flash either mounted on the camera or on a Stroboframe.

Any thoughts on making the best out of a challenging situation?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow