Started Dec 11, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
natalienatalie1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 = why bother?
Dec 11, 2012

Right now I have about $800 that I've decided to spend on a decent dSLR (my nikon d5100 and two lenses were stolen last year). A relative of mine is trying to sell a Canon 60d body. The problem is that if I buy it, the only lens I could likely afford is the 50mm f/1.8 II. I've read the reviews, and clearly its a steal at $90, but if it's the only lens I'll have for 6+ months, should I bother even buying the 60d?

I like the idea of having the 60d because it seems like the kind of camera I can grow into, with nice features for both video and stills. My only concern is that it's too much camera for my current budget. Should I find a cheaper body online and then a more standard lens?

I definitely plan on using the camera for the next several years, and I'm worried that I'd grow out of an "entry-level" camera faster than the 60d. I've been reluctant to jump back on the d5100 for that reason. And because the 60d's more customizable video capabilities are pretty attractive.

I've seen several pictures taken with a 50mm f/1.8 II, and the results are definitely great. I was just worried that it would be restricting after a while.

I'll probably shoot mostly travel, kids, pets, and some portraits, but less landscapes.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow