B&W Japan

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,081
Like?
Re: Only three letters for you
In reply to il_alexk, Dec 11, 2012

il_alexk wrote:

Good Bw processing is very hard to master unless you know what you want and how to achieve it, which is my case :). I wonder if you can give some tips on how you process your BW (what controls/corrrections you use).

I am sorry to be so late in replying.  I just got back from a month in Nepal.

I have been working on photos on the computer since I first got some film scanned in 1997 using various software (Paint Shop Pro 4, 6, 7, 10; Photoshop CS2; Photoshop Elements 9; Lightroom 4) and generally I use the channel mixer or equivalent in the software to do my B&W conversions.  I also adjust levels or curves and in LR 4 I use the various controls it has (exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, clarity) to make adjustments to taste.  I work on each image individually so I don't have a particular recipe that I use.  I wish I could explain how I do it, but I just look at the image and work on it to make it look in a way that I sort of like.  Note, that what I like for the same image often changes from day to day!   That is one of the things I like so much about LR.  It has a non-destructive editor so I can easily go back and tweak things without starting from scratch.

Oh... my widest lens is 17mm, which probably explains why I can't get the framing right :). I'll try shooting this style to see if it makes sense for me to get the sigma 10-20.

Are you using 1.5x or 1.6x APS-C?  17mm on 1.5x APS-C gives an equivalent fov of 25.mm and with my new (bought in May) Olympus E-M5 I have been using 14mm which gives an equivalent fov of 28mm and that has worked out well.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow