Why Nikon D700 and studio flash Godox Quicker 600 & Pixel King high speed sync limits to 1/320!

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Questions thread
antares103
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Nikon D700 and studio flash Godox Quicker 600 & Pixel King high speed sync limits to 1/320!
In reply to Hugowolf, Dec 11, 2012

Pixel Kings do (or are supposed to) fudge the sync speed, similar to the TT system of Pocket Wizard.

However, this fudging has limitations. The "hypersync" method relies on flash durations long enough to emulate a continuous light source during the time the shutter is open. The Quicker has...well..quicker flash durations. The fudging requires a longer flash duration than 1/320 of a second. The specs say 1/5000 - 1/800, which I assume to be t.5 times, which translates to 1/1600-1/250 t.1 times.

Too short of a flash duration will have the flash pulse die off before the entire frame gets a chance to be exposed. Nothing can be done to High speed sync a fast duration flash with a focal plane shutter. A flash with a longer flash duration, long considered less desirable, is actually better for the "hyper sync" method. When the remote manufactuer says it will 'hypersync", it is only saying it will trigger early enough, but cannot guarantee it works with all flashes, because there are flashes that it WILL NOT work with.

Typically studio lights have their fastest duration at full, and i do not see any indication of IGBT in this flash, so I assume it holds true here. Try lower powers and see if the results improve.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow